Monday, September 24, 2007

More Webspace Junk

During the last 12-16 months I have increasingly thought about have my own little web space. For what they are worth, I dig Blogger and Wordpress, or at least their free versions. I have used them and enjoyed them for going on three years now.

It is just that I want a little more.

I like the idea of having a url that doesn't also involve those companies names. I like the idea of looking more professional. I like the idea of having a place that is mine, and mine only. I really like the idea of creating something unfettered by the various rules and regulations those companies add to their free accounts.

The main, basic problem was the time I was ready to commit to such a thing I was also jobless. Sure I had a nice severance package from the place that laid me off, sure I had a few temporary jobs in between, but there was nothing full-time and permanent that told me I could go ahead and make a monthly commitment to something I was basically already getting for free.

It is only now, here in China that we have a steady income and works and thus I am buying the space.

I don't really ever expect that the Midnight Cafe will ever turn me into a rich man. I don't think that I'll ever be able to quit a day job and be a full time blogger. I'll be overjoyed if the new site ever makes enough money to pay for itself.

I have a slew of ideas for the new blog - ways to fill it up every day, ideas to be creative and interesting and draw an audience - and I think I am going to be able to make it a place to go to everyday.

Friday I ordered the space. I got it through Cyberwurx, which comes recommended by friends and starts with a very reasonable plan. I swear the paperwork said that they'd have me going and even load up Wordpress into my space for me within 24 hours.

Well here I am two days this side of Friday and still I've gotten nothing - not even a welcome e-mail. It is driving me crazy. I got all excited about what I was going to do, what I was going to say and how it was going to look. And here I am still waiting.

As it was the weekend I've tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. It is easy to think internet companies are gigantic and provide 24 hour service, but in truth they may be small and they may not be staffed on weekend. So I'm trying to wait until the middle of Monday. This is also hard because here it is Monday evening, but in the States it is still early I will have to wait until Tuesday morning before I begin sending question e-mails.

So hopefully, dear readers, you will have something new by weeks end.